Webinar: Spirituality, Culture and World Views in Mental Health Recovery
- Open to the Public
- Dr. Sharon Smith
- Sanctuary Mental Health Ministries
Spirituality, Culture and World Views in Mental Health Recovery
Presenter: Sharon Smith, PhD
- To give participants an understanding of the complexities of spirituality - meaning and language (beyond a basic definition for practice).
- To give participants the opportunity to explore their own worldview and how this relates to their mental health recovery.
- To explore the relationship between spirituality and recovery.
- To provide an open framework for spiritual conversation within mental health practice settings that takes into consideration culture and worldview.
Sharon Smith has spent much of her professional career working as an occupational therapist in acute and community mental health settings in South Africa and Vancouver, Canada. She has her Masters in Christian Studies from Regent College and her PhD in rehabilitation sciences from the University of British Columbia. Her dissertation explored the meaning of spirituality for people living with schizophrenia. Sharon consults for mental health organizations where she facilitates mental health professionals to integrate spirituality into mental health care. Her most recent work has been with Vancouver Coastal Health.
Sharon is currently the Executive Director of Sanctuary Mental Health Ministries. Sanctuary works alongside churches to prepare people of faith to support mental health recovery within their community.
The BC PSR Advanced Practice is pleased to offer a webinar on spirituality, culture, and world views in mental health recovery. Session objectives were: 1. To give participants an understanding of the complexities of spirituality - meaning and language (beyond a basic definition for practice). 2.