Webinar: An Inside-Out Approach for Practitioners on Anti-Racist & Culturally Safe Practice.
- Open to the Public
- Angie Phenix & Kaarina Valavaara
Join us for this very important and and timely webinar about creating an anti-racist culture within our organizations. It is essential that all people we work with in all capacities feel culturally safe.
Please share this with your colleagues.
- Contribute to settler understandings of reconciliation and justice within PSR Advanced Practice.
- Through sharing lived experience of presenters and wise practices, deconstruct notions of how power and privilege is maintained in caring professions in Canada.
- Introduction to worldview, social positioning and colonial systems.
- Enhance understanding of centering Indigenous rights and treaties in caring professions.
- Provide concrete guidance and share lived experience on how to deconstruct personal/professional bias’ and move practice to be more anti-racist and culturally safe.
Bio of Presenters
Angie Phenix, OT Reg. (SK)., and Kaarina Valavaara, OT Reg. (AB),are both Métis women and occupational therapists. They co-chair the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists Occupational Therapy and Indigenous Health Network and Truth and Reconciliation Task Force. They both act as advocates to transform the practice of occupational therapy to promote Indigenous rights and equity for Indigenous Peoples.